APEX AWARD SCHEME FOR RESEARCHERS (UP TO $100,000) IN UK
Deadline: 29 October 2020|
In partnership with the British Academy, the Royal Society and the Royal Academy of Engineering (‘the Academies’) and with generous support from the Leverhulme Trust, the APEX award (Academies Partnership in Supporting Excellence in Cross-disciplinary research award) scheme offers established independent researchers, with a strong track record in their respective area, an exciting opportunity to pursue genuine interdisciplinary and curiosity-driven research to benefit wider society.
The objectives of this scheme are to:
- Promote collaboration across disciplines, with a particular emphasis on the boundary between science, engineering and the social sciences and humanities
- Support outstanding interdisciplinary research which is unlikely to be supported through conventional funding programmes
- Support researchers with an outstanding track record, in developing their research in a new direction through collaboration with partners from other disciplines
- Enable outstanding researchers to focus on advancing their innovative research through seed funding
Am I eligible to apply?
Your applications must be within the remit of more than one of the Academies. Applications which span the remit of the Royal Academy of Engineering and British Academy are encouraged.
You can apply for this scheme if you are:
- A researcher with a strong track record as an established independent researcher (this can include engineering researchers, humanities and social sciences scholars and scientists)
- Based at a UK University or not-for-profit research institution for at least the duration of the project
- Applicants will be expected to collaborate with a research partner from a different discipline from their own or a different university in the UK.
Before applying, please ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes. Please also refer to the FAQs for further guidance.
What is the scheme’s value and duration?
This scheme provides funding for up to 24 months:
- An award of up to £100,000 to fund staff
- Costs to relieve the applicant and/or co-applicant from some of their teaching and administrative duties
- Up to 25% of the total award can be spent on research costs
- Successful applicants will be invited to apply for an additional £10,000 to support public engagement activities
- This can include consumables, equipment, collaborative travel expenses
- Costs of a teaching replacement to relieve the applicant and/or collaborator from some of their teaching and administrative duties
- Grants can be held for up to 24 months
All awards must start between 1 September 2021 and 1 November 2021.
What is the application process?
Applications should be submitted through the Royal Society’s grant application system (Flexi-Grant®).
Your application will go through th process detailed on the making a grant application page overseen by the APEX Awards Panel. For further information, please refer to the APEX 2021 scheme notes.
You will be notified of the result of the application process in July 2021.
Use this official site to Apply: https://www.raeng.org.uk/grants-prizes/grants/support-for-research/apex-awards OR