Are you passionate about political affairs? The African Union is hiring for a political officer.
DEADLINE: 12 December 2022
Purpose of Job
To provide technical support for the advancement of the work of the AU in priority areas of conflict management
• Undertakes follow up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
• Suggests new and expands on existing policy areas for planned research.
• Provides support for setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
• Coordinates the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
• Participates in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
• Engages with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets.
• Produces draft reports and participates in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Unit/Division
• Participates in the daily activities of the PSOD and maintain up-to-date knowledge of events relating to international and regional political, security, stabilization and economic developments in general, and as they affect AUC PSOs;
• Drafts a various documents such as report, background notes and briefing notes to the management and senior officials as directed by Head…
• Monitors and analyses developments and activities of PSOs, including relations with regional organizations, Member States, Police/Troop Contributing Countries and other stakeholders
• Monitors political, security, Stabilization, humanitarian, socio-economic and other relevant developments in AU PSOs mandated and authorized by the AU Peace and Security Council,
• Prepares responses to comments, statements, and queries (oral and written) of parties, troop/police contributors, members of the Peace and Security Council,
• Collects and coordinates information/inputs from RECs/RMs, the United Nations, and other concerned stakeholders
• Responds to various requests from AU PSOs and prepare related correspondence as required;
• Provides support in the creation of a databases which track project progress, and provide and keep updated other information relevant to the assigned area, including on implementation of PSO mandates;
• Attends and organizes relevant meetings such as working groups, and prepare notes of the meetings;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Public law, International Law, Conflict Prevention and Resolution or any other related social science studies with 5 years relevant experience. Or
• Master Degree in similar studies with 2 years relevant experience.
• Management and administrative skills
• Communication and report writing skills
• Research and analytical skills
• Planning and organizational skills
• Ability to use Microsoft Office suite and AU computing systems
• Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural setting
• Knowledge and operational understanding of AU policies, standards and systems
• Knowledge in international relations
• Interpersonal and negotiation skills
• Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage
- Teamwork and Collaboration..
- Learning Orientation…
- .Communicating with impact
- Accountability awareness and Compliance..
- ..Teamwork and Collaboration
- Communicating with Influence ….
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing..
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Focus
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
- Applications must be made not later than December 12, 2022
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply