Apply for the Government of Mauritius – Africa scholarship scheme 2022
DEADLINE: 22 August 2022
Award of Scholarships by the Government of the Republic of Mauritius
The Government of Mauritius is awarding scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens of member states of the African Union or African Commonwealth countries, as per the following criteria:
1. For undergraduate programmes, applicants should be above 18 years of age and should not have reached their 26th birthday by 22 August 2022.
2. For Master’s programmes, applicants should not have reached 35 years and, for PhD programmes, applicants should not have reached 40 years by 22 August 2022.
3. Applicants must have already applied for a full-time on-campus programme (Diploma, Degree, Master’s or PhD) at a public Higher Education Institution in Mauritius (listed in Section 8 in the appropriate Guidelines for Applicants) for academic year starting in 2022.
4. The scholarship will be for a maximum duration as indicated in the table below or the minimum course duration whichever is lesser.
|SN||Programme of Studies||Maximum Duration|
|1||Undergraduate Diploma||Three (3) years|
|2||Undergraduate Degree||Four (4) years|
|3||Master||Two (2) years|
|4||MPhil / PhD||Four (4) years + 6 months for the transfer from MPhil to PhD|
|5||PhD||Three (3) years|
The Scholarship will support successful candidates in meeting their tuition fees and in contributing to their living expenses during their studies in Mauritius. Furthermore, the scholarship covers a return airfare by the most economical route. This will be valid for travel from the country of origin at the beginning of the studies and back to the country of origin upon successful completion of studies.
Since in Mauritius only vaccinated students are granted access to higher education institutions, successful candidates will have to be vaccinated prior to coming to Mauritius. For successful candidates who cannot for medical purposes be vaccinated, they will be required to produce duly certified medical certificates.
To enter Mauritius, students must present a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours before departure from their home country. Covid- 19 testing will be required upon arrival.
- Guidelines for Applicants
- This document contains important information regarding the conditions attached to the scholarship, the application procedure, and a list of public Higher Education Institutions in Mauritius where full-time on-campus studies are run.
- Application Form (Applicants are invited to fill in the form electronically before printing)
- Application for the scholarship can only be made on the application form, duly filled-in. Section 5 of the application form should be endorsed and completed by the Nominating Agency in the country of citizenship of the applicant. An application under this Scheme is to be made solely through the Nominating Agency responsible for the processing of scholarships in the country of citizenship of the applicant. Such Nominating Agency, which may typically be part of the Ministry of Education in the country of the applicant, will then shortlist and endorse the applications of a maximum of FIFTEEN (15) eligible candidates (five in each category of Undergraduate, Masters and MPhil/PhD) and submit the duly completed application forms as per the table below:
|Intake||Deadline for electronic submission||Deadline for submission of hard copy|
|April 2022||28 February 2022||07 March 2022|
|October 2022||15 August 2022||22 August 2022|
Applications, together with supporting documents as required should be forwarded to the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology of the Republic of Mauritius at the address mentioned below, for a final selection.
The Senior Chief Executive,
Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology (Attn: Tertiary Education and Scientific Research Division)
Level 2, MITD House, Pont Fer, Phoenix 73544.
Republic of Mauritius (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)