Deadline: 11th October, 2020
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Type of Contract: Internship
Duration: 6 Months
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information Management and Technology (OIMT) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT and Green Energy solutions. Our Unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team. As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The
UNDP/OIMT Green Energy Support internship programme enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow. We bridge the gap between textbook learning and real-time industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context.
Furthermore, during the internship you will have the opportunity to obtain an official certification in project management in controlled environment. Being a part of our dynamic unit, you will also gain worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies; our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP OIMT unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support in drafting of business cases for renewable energy solutions (solar hybrid systems);
- Support in providing guidelines on energy efficient solutions to country offices;
- Provide support to optimize usage of diesel generators in UNDP offices;
- Assist during installation of IOT energy sensor units in country offices worldwide;
- Support the team in procuring green energy solution equipment ranging from market research , requests for quotation and technical evaluation;
- Support in daily monitoring and operation of installed renewable solutions;
- Assist the team in organizing internal and external meetings with third parties;
- Draft and update the units` documentation to support the continuous improvement of the Green Energy team processes and procedures, instructions and templates for best practice;
- Assist the project manager during the installation of renewable energy solutions (solar hybrid systems) in UNDP country offices worldwide.
- Technological Awareness: Has interest and understanding of renewable energy engineering, sustainable development-oriented areas of work;
- Innovation: Interest in developing sustainable solutions for UNDP country offices around the world, focusing on green energy and energy efficiency;
- Problem Solving: Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Teamwork: Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Communication: Communicates effectively when working in teams and has a proactive attitude with a goal-oriented mind-set;
- Planning and Organization: Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Collaboration: Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability and Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude, responding positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Delivery: UNDP OIMT unit is ISO 9001:2015, ISO 20000:2011 and ISO 27001:2013 certified, thus all works shall be compliant with the international standard with focus on high quality, continuous improvements and customer satisfaction.
Required Skills and Experience
You must meet one of the following requirements:
- You are currently in the final year of your bachelor’s degree; or You are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or
- You have graduated no longer than 1 year to the deadline of the application from a master’s degree or equivalent studies in the field of renewable energy engineering, electrical engineering or in a related field.
- Experience or knowledge in the field of: Environment, Energy or Electrical Engineering, Climate Change, or other relevant fields is required;
- Technical knowledge of the main renewable energy technologies is a strong advantage;
- Experience/Knowledge in sizing Hybrid PV systems (with diesel generator) is a strong advantage;
- Experience/Knowledge in energy efficiency and/or electric vehicles is a strong advantage;
- Knowledge of software tools for hybrid renewable energy systems is an advantage;
- Knowledge of HOMER and PV*Sol is an advantage;
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools is an advantage;
- Knowledge or experience with specific Office 365 tools (or their consumer equivalents) such as Planner (Trello), Teams (Slack), Yammer (Workplace by Facebook), OneDrive (Dropbox, Google Drive), Power BI (Tableau), etc. is a strong advantage;
- SharePoint knowledge, preferably SharePoint Online is an advantage;
- Working with gathering, consolidating and analysing either quantitative and qualitative data from databases and reports is an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience presenting work to both technical and non-technical is an advantage;
- Demonstrated professional or academic experience in any of the UNDP Member States is an advantage;
- Fluent in written and spoken English is mandatory. Knowledge of French and other UN languages is an advantage.
- In accordance with the UNDP Internship policy, UNDP interns are eligible to receive a monthly stipend, with the rate that varies depending on the duty location. The stipend will be paid monthly, and part-time internship arrangements are prorated accordingly.
- Where an intern is financially supported by an institution, government or third party, UNDP will, subject to the rules of such institution, government or a third party, pay the intern the difference, if any, between the external financial support provided and the applicable UNDP stipend.
- Except for the stipend, all other expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring government or institutions.
- Interns are not considered staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Interns are responsible for securing adequate medical insurance for the duration of their internship with UNDP and must provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. UNDP will not reimburse the medical insurance of the intern. Any costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern.
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP, but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- You are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for your education programme;
- Eligibility for residency and undertaking internship in Denmark;
- The intern will have to make his/her own arrangements for internship, travel, VISA, accommodation etc.
TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=94039
IF YOU WANT MORE UPDATES, JOIN OUR MAILING LIST SIMPLY BY SENDING US AN EMAIL WITH A MESSAGE “ADD ME” ON THE FOLLOWING email@example.com