Deadline 15 December 2020|
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Who can apply?
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree (Master’s courses) or a Master’s degree (PhD courses), either
- in their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.)
- in another Sub-Sahara African country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home.
What is supported?
Master and PhD scholarships studies at 16 participating host and networks within Eastern African Region.
This programme strongly encourages mobility of Sub-Saharan Africans within the region. We therefore strongly recommend applicants to apply to institutions outside their home countries. Please refer to the call for scholarship applications for 2021 for the Eastern African institutions here.
If interested in studying as an in-country/in-region student in another Sub-Saharan Africa region (West and Central Africa or Southern African region), more information about the programmes available and participating institutions can be found here.
Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
- have successfully completed generally a three-year Bachelor’s degree (Master candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university Master’s degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Sahara African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Refer to the Call for Scholarship Applications 2021 for additional requirements and documents to be submitted.
The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the DAAD application deadline as well as host institution’s deadline.
Applicants must first apply for the scholarship via the DAAD portal. Applicants are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application. Please refer to the Call for Application 2021 for the specific link to the funding programme in the DAAD portal.
Parallel to this process, applicants must at the same time apply for admission at the selected host institution using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. The host institution/universities have set their own deadlines. Please inform yourself about the respective admission processes and deadlines at the host institution. Reach out to the institution’s website or contact person at the host institution for more information.
More information on how to register via the DAAD portal can be found here.
Programme information and DAAD Application Deadline:
Your complete application must reach the DAAD by 15 December 2020.
Call for applications can be found here.
Duration of funding
The duration of the Master programme is generally two years and for PhD programme is generally three years (regular period of studies). Please check with the selected host institutions the exact start dates of the programme.
Value of the scholarship
- University tuition fees
- research allowance (once a year)
- monthly stipend
- travel allowance (in-region only)
- health insurance (in-region only)
- and the possibility of a study visit of up to 6 months to Germany within the period of the scholarship.
For questions related to the programme, please see our Frequently Asked Questions for the in-country/in-region scholarship programme 2021 intake here.
We are also planning a series of web seminars on the scholarship application for the in-country/in-region scholarship programme Eastern Africa 2021 where you can find more information.https://www.daad.or.ke/en/in-country-in-region-programme/