Apply to become a UN Volunteer Communications Officer Position
Deadline: 15 June, 2021
Location: Congo, Brazzaville
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
1. Develop and implement communications plans which includes a timeline of key communications products.
2. Identify subjects/stories of interest pertaining to WHO efforts at the country or Regional level to develop communications products such as feature stories, press releases and social media posts.
3. Work together with WHO Country office and the Regional Communications Team to conceptualize a set of new advocacy documents to inform stakeholders and the general public about WHO’s response, co-develop, as relevant, high quality media tools, including audio-visual, photographic and printed materials, television and radio programmes, multimedia presentations, social media, videos and press releases, bulletins etc., to promote WHO’s visibility, achievements and success stories.
4. Liaise with the press/media to advocate and disseminate information on WHO work as well as relevant events such as WHO campaigns. Organize interviews and filming opportunities to support high-visibility of WHO achievements through television, radio and newspapers, etc.
5. Manage the development and maintenance of content for the country website and social media platforms, in compliance with guidelines and standards used throughout the Organization, to ensure consistency of approach. Critically review and improve contents. 6. Prepare communication and advocacy products and statements to be used by the Resource Mobilization team in convincing and encouraging donors to rapidly fund the overall health sector response to affected populations.
7. Collaborate with all relevant actors, including the health cluster, regional and field offices, other WHO departments, UN agencies, and other partners to identify and create communication opportunities and prepare communication campaigns on specific topics.
8. Represent the WHO Country Office (WCO) in the UN Communication Group and provide appropriate technical support as required.
9. Organize advocacy events, press interactions and meetings to increase the visibility of WHO and knowledge about the work of the WCO;
10. Support Ministry of Health (MoH) public communications during key health events including health emergencies, through the development of talking points, press releases, press statements and other media products.
11. Perform any other communication specific related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
- A first university degree in communication, journalism, political science or international relations or related field from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Desirable Education: Formal qualification in public health; Courses in communication techniques such as graphic design, visual language and in the use of social media. Training in risk communication is an asset.
Required experience: 36 Months
- At least 3 – 5 years of professional work experience at the national and international level, in external communications. Proven experience in writing engaging communications materials.
- Desirable Experience: Prior working experience with WHO/UN or with an international nongovernmental organization; experience in organizing advocacy campaigns and experience in managing publishing processes. Proven experience in writing advocacy documents. Proven experience in taking photographs or filming video which are of professional quality
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertisePublic information and reporting, Knowledge management, archiving and documentationArea of expertise details
- Proven skills in the development and implementation of communications plans
- Proven skills in writing feature stories and other key communications products
- Proven skills in engaging with national, regional and international media and securing media coverage
- Excellent interpersonal skills complemented by the ability to conceptualize ideas and advocate consensus.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
Application procedure* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
You may also be interested in the following> UN Youth Envoy Fellowship Programme: Paid Internship
CLICK HERE to Join Youth Opportunities Hub WhatsApp Group (If you are already in one of our WhatsApp groups, then there is no need to join)