Apply for the United Nations FAO Young Professional Officer (Evaluation)
DEADLINE: 02/Jan/2023, 12:59:00 AM
United Nations FAO Young Professional Officer (Evaluation)
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is a specialized agency that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. To this end, FAO is working to build more efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems. Its independent Office of Evaluation (OED) conducts evaluations of FAO strategies, initiatives, programmes and projects at the global, regional and national levels for learning and accountability purposes. OED is led by a Director who reports to the FAO Governing Bodies and to the Director-General. Evaluations in FAO aim to provide credible, useful evidence to inform decisions (such as policy, programmatic, and operational decisions) to help FAO achieve its mission. OED values candidates who are highly motivated to excel and wish to join OED colleagues in contributing to generate knowledge useful to FAO and its Members. Join us in creating a world without hunger and poverty.
The Young Professional Officer (Evaluation) will work under the direct supervision of an Evaluation Officer.
The Young Professional Officer (Evaluation) will contribute to evaluations through quantitative research, data collection and analysis. OED encourages the use of advanced quantitative and data analytic techniques to analyse structured and unstructured data.
Successfully supported/contributed to programme and project evaluations.
- Conduct data analysis and produce statistics;
- Collect data and maintain databases;
- Provides technical support to various projects;
- Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
- Participates in the organization and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners;
- Perform other related duties as required.
The specific functions of this position in evaluation are to:
- Participate actively and productively in multidisciplinary evaluation teams, often with internal and external partners.
- Apply rigorous analytic thinking to analyse data, interpret the resulting statistics and generate effective visualizations.
- Contribute to analyses of FAO’s portfolio of work to inform evaluation designs, leveraging data analytic techniques to analyse large amounts of structured and unstructured data.
- Produce data, code and documentation files to facilitate quality assurance, replication and use.
- Collaborate in developing tools to monitor FAO’s portfolio, such as developing dashboards and visualizations.
- Support research and evaluations across FAO’s portfolio of emergency, resilience, and development projects and programmes
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in a social science field (such as economics, sociology, or psychology), data science, statistics, survey methods, evaluation, or other closely related fields.
- One year of experience in evaluation or in using data science techniques in support of research or evaluation.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in quantitative data analyses.
- Proven expertise in data science, statistics, or survey methods.
- Extent of knowledge/familiarity with evaluation methodologies.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
NB Please note that candidates should be 32 years of age or younger as of 31 December of the year of application.