Apply for the UNV position of Public Health Officer
Application Deadline: 17 February 2021
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract Duration: 4 Months
Start Date: 01 April 2021
Eligibility criteria for the position of Public Health Officer
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Ministry of Health focal point supported by the UNICEF Health Specialist EPI or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Public Health Officer will be responsible for ensuring the accomplishment of the following specific tasks related to the development and implementation of vaccine management protocol to support the response to outbreak of polio virus:
- Review the cold chain and logistics aspects of the country outbreak response plan including the outbreak SOP and the SOP for vaccine management and nOPV2 management technical guideline and adopt to the country context.
- Review all the tools and processes for management of nOPV2
- Assess Cold Chain needs for vaccination rounds and make recommendations and follow-ups to ensure readiness for polio vaccination campaigns
- Provide technical assistance to MOH, UNICEF and WHO partners to ensure that all procedures are followed as per GPEI guidelines, such as:
- At end of each round all partially and fully used nOPV2 vials are disposed of as per WHO and/or national guidelines and all unopened vials are retrieved at a predetermined level of the supply chain for future use
- At end of the final round, following the OBRA recommendation, all used and unused nOPV2 vials are disposed of as biological waste as per WHO and/or national guidelines and MOH attests to restoration of PV2 free status for the country.
- Monitor implementation of all aspects of CCL&VM policies as laid out in the outbreak response plans and the Guidance Note on VM/CCL during polio SIAs.
- Training of staff and partners involved in polio outbreak response on vaccine management and CCL in context of polio SIA per the available materials. This includes the rolling out of the training tools and resources in the country.
- Provide frequent and regular reports to the Outbreak Technical Lead on all aspects of CCL&VM and contribute updates for SITREPS, bulletins, and newsletters.
- Support CO and MoH to correct and timely submission of “end of round vaccine management” and “vaccine disposal reports.
- Support outbreak response review assessment teams with information pertaining to CCL&VM aspects of the outbreak response.
- Support routine immunization, new vaccine introduction and other vaccination campaigns as assigned by the supervisors of this assignment
- Undertake other assignments and responsibilities as requested by heads of country program to support the successful response to the outbreak.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
ALSO READ: Oxfam- Gender and Protection Officer
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent Education –
Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or any other relevant field of discipline.
Required experience: 24 Months
Experience in the areas of immunization programme and polio outbreak response.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Public healthArea of expertise details:
Immunization Programme and Polio Outbreak Response.Driving license: NoCompetencies values:
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Please join our Youth Opportunities Hub Telegram group for daily updates by clicking the following link: https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAE_HZrFOHOtrkfbj7A
Please follow Youth Opportunities Hub on:
Please share this opportunity with your family, friends and loved ones on: