Apply for the position of Vehicle Technician
Application Deadline: 21 February 2021
Duty Station: Bor, South Sudan
Contract Duration: until 30 June 2022
Start Date: Immediate
Eligibility criteria for the Vehicle Technician position
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Transport Officer (CTO) and the direct supervision of the Officers in Charge in various units, the UN Volunteers will undertake the following tasks:
- Conduct repair and maintenance services on United Nations Owned Equipment (UNOE) including 4x4s,Bus Light & Medium (Ford/Nissan), Trucks Medium/Heavy (Renault/Iveco) and Forklifts in accordance with manufacturer specifications, ensuring all safety procedures are followed when repairing and fitting replacement spare parts;
- Perform routine/emergency, electrical and hydraulic repairs and maintenance on above UNOE;
- Monitor and install Carlog where required, download data/update vehicle Carlog system following maintenance etc.:
- Ensure the workshop is adequately equipped with safety tools/equipment, and they are employed at all times;
- Assist in documenting of vehicle maintenance and repair, assign spare parts and manpower cost to work orders through (Galileo system);
- Maintain warehouse records, prepare financial and budget summaries, write reports and submit them to the workshop supervisor in accordance with the established UN procedures and deadline;
- Assist in processing of the vehicle write-off cases in accordance to the established procedures;
- Conduct vehicle inspections;
- Perform various additional related duties as and when assigned by the Supervisor.
ALSO READ: Public Health Officer based in Nairobi Kenya
Required degree level: Technical/Vocational diplomaEducation –
Degree or appropriate technical qualification in vehicle transport maintenance management, or equivalent combination of education, relevant professional training in ground transport operations is required, certificate in transport and/or logistics management is an added advantage.Required experience: 36 Months
At least three years of progressively in maintenance of motor vehicles, heavy/specialised transport equipment is required, experience in transport /logistics management is an added advantage.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Vehicle and fleet operation and maintenance
Area of expertise details:
- Driving license required: Yes (Required)
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word etc.) and other IT applications and office technology equipment;
- Technical knowledge (mechanical, hydraulic and electrical) for all types of light vehicles such as Nissan Patrols, Ford, Land cruiser and heavy equipment such as Material Handling Equipment (MHE), and all types and make of Caterpillar machines and armoured vehicles;
- General knowledge of transport operations, fleet management and spare parts warehouse management is an added asset;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness.
Driving license: Yes
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Please follow Youth Opportunities Hub on:
Please share this opportunity with your family, friends and loved ones on: