This Article Was Last Updated: December 15, 2021 BY MICHELLE SCHROEDER-GARDNER through his website Making Sense of Cents
Do you want to learn how to earn money from home or how to earn money online?
There are tons of work from home jobs that already exist. And, in today’s world, there are more and more jobs online, and this trend is expected to continue well into the future.
Some work from home jobs involve you working for someone else, or you may be able to even start your own business.
And, yes, you may even be able to earn a full-time income from home.
So, if you are looking to start making more money or if you want a new career path that lets you earn money from home, this list is especially for you.
Over the past year I have been able to interview several people who are making money working from home. They are doing their own thing, and they are rocking at life.
Hopefully, you had the chance to read their interviews on my blog, but in case you missed any of them, this post rounds them all up for you.
This round-up includes everything from selling on Amazon, teaching English, becoming a cooking instructor, flipping items for profits, and more! If you’re wondering “How can I earn money working from home?”, then this is for you.
My hope is that these stories will spark your interest, and they may even inspire you to learn how to earn money from home.
I’m always looking to add to the list of different ways to earn money online and different ways to work from home, so if you know of anything else, please leave a comment or send me an email.
All of these options are legitimate jobs, career paths, or business ideas, so you don’t have to worry about work from home job scams. As always, they will require your time and effort – as all careers do.
What are the best ways to earn from home?
As you’ll learn below, there are many ways to make money from home.
Some that are listed below include:
- Starting a blog
- Selling on Amazon
- Becoming an online tutor
- Becoming a virtual assistant
- Writing an eBook
- Starting an online store
- Flipping items for profit
- Freelance writing
- Teaching English from home
- Becoming a transcriptionist
Plus, much more! There are many ways to earn money from home using the internet.
Start a blog to make a living from home.
Okay, so this one isn’t an interview I did with someone else, it’s my personal story! I had to include it because it’s my favorite way to earn money from home. This is definitely one of the real ways to make money from home because I do it.
I created Making Sense of Cents around 7 years ago, and since then, I have earned over $4,000,000 with my blog and over $1,500,000 just in one year.
Blogging changed my life for the better, and it allows me to earn thousands of dollars a month, all by doing something that I love.
My blog was created on a whim as a way to track my own personal finance progress. And, when I started in 2011, I honestly didn’t even know that people could make money blogging!
I did not create Making Sense of Cents to earn money from home, but after only six months, I began to make money.
Blogging is quite affordable to start, and it’s easy as well.
Blogging has allowed me to take control of my finances and earn more money. It means I can work from home, travel whenever I want, have a flexible schedule, and more! As you can see, blogging completely changed my life for the better, and if you are interested, I urge you to learn how to start your own.
You can easily learn how to create a blog with my free How To Start a Blog Course.
Here’s a quick outline of what you will learn:
- Day 1: Reasons you should start a blog.
- Day 2: How to determine what to blog about.
- Day 3: How to create your blog. In this lesson, you will learn how to start a blog on WordPress. My tutorial makes it very easy to build a blog.
- Day 4: How to make money blogging.
- Day 5: My tips for making passive income from blogging.
- Day 6: How to grow your traffic and followers.
- Day 7: Miscellaneous blogging tips that will help you be successful.
Sell on Amazon to make money online.
Yes, you can make money by selling on Amazon! The world’s largest online retailer has many, many people who sell items and earn money from home.
Jessica Larrew, of The Selling Family, explains how selling on Amazon may be a possibility for you. She is a friend of mine, and I am blown away by her success!
In the first year that Jessica’s family ran their Amazon FBA business together, working less than 20 hours a week total, they made over $100,000 profit!
Jessica also has a FREE 7 day course that will teach you everything you need to know in order to start selling on Amazon. I recommend signing up for it now!
This would be a great side hustle or even new job, and if you want more information, click on the interview link below.
In this interview, we talk about:
- How Jessica started selling on Amazon FBA.
- What exactly Amazon FBA is.
- How to choose what to buy and sell.
- How much a person can expect to earn.
- The positives of selling on Amazon, and more.
Learn more at How To Work From Home Selling On Amazon FBA.
Become an online tutor to learn how to earn money from home without any investment.
Are you looking for a flexible side hustle as an online tutor?
Course Hero is a website that helps high school and college students with course-specific questions.
Using the website, students connect with Course Hero tutors on a wide range of subjects and classes, which makes this a great side hustle for people with different educational backgrounds and experience.
Tutors earn an average of $3 for each question they answer on Course Hero. Earning between $12-$20 per hour, Course Hero tutors earn an average of $300/week.
Learn more at How To Make $300+ Weekly As An Online Tutor With Course Hero.
Become a virtual assistant to earn money online.
One of the most real ways to make money from home for free is to become a virtual assistant. This is something that so many people are doing nowadays, and I believe the need for virtual assistants will just continue to grow and grow.
Not only does the internet allow us to complete more daily tasks online, more and more people are working from home in fields such as blogging, social media, etc. This means virtual assistants are becoming even more in demand.
Online assistant tasks may include social media management, formatting and editing content, scheduling appointments or travel, email management, and more. Basically, you can get paid to do any task that needs to be done in someone’s business, but doesn’t need to be done by them.
In our interview, she explains how to make this a possible career or side hustle choice for you.
We talk about:
- How Gina became a virtual assistant.
- Who the typical clients are.
- How much you can expect to make.
- The positives of virtual assisting, and more.
Learn more at Make Money Online as a Virtual Assistant.
Write an eBook.
Alyssa self-published her first book and has sold more than 13,000 copies.
She is now earning a great passive income of over $200 a day from her book ($6,500 in one month alone!).
She is also the creator of From Blog To Book, a course that will help you write, launch, and market your first book. I’ve already signed up for the course, and the expertise she shares is absolutely amazing. Some of the modules in her course include:
- Mapping Out Your Book Content
- Strategies for Writing Your Next 30,000 Words
- Where to Publish Your Book
- Tutorial: Getting Your Book on Amazon
- Design Your Book Cover
- Set Pricing for Your Book
- Create Your Marketing Plan
Learn more at How Alyssa is making $200 a DAY in book sales passively.
Start an online store.
Yes, you can start your own online store, and you don’t need to have tons of experience or a lot of money to do so. Many people start with no background – which means that if this is something you are interested in, then you should definitely read on.
Jenn is a corporate mom turned e-commerce store owner and blogger.
She started her online business a little over three years ago, and since then, she has developed and grown three successful online e-commerce stores earning an average of $19,000 per month.
She is super successful despite only spending around 5-10 hours per week on her e-commerce business.
Jenn Leach also has a course called E-commerce and Prosper that teaches you how to start an online store. She reveals her successful rinse and repeat formula to students in her course. It’s the same formula she uses to earn an average of $19,000 per month. In her course you will learn:
- How to start an online store.
- Winning e-commerce success tools.
- How to turbocharge your e-commerce success.
- How to start making money in THREE days.
Learn more about this at How Jenn Makes Over $10,000 A Month With Her Online Store In Less Than 10 Hours Per Week.
Grammar nut? Try proofreading for a living.
Have you ever read an obvious mistake and wanted to fix it?
Proofreaders look for punctuation mistakes, misspelled words, lack of consistency, and formatting errors.
You take content that other people have written and then go over it with a fine-tooth comb. You might be proofreading blog posts, print articles, academic articles, website copy, ad copy, books, student papers, emails, and more.
In one year, my friend Caitlin made around $43,000 by working as a freelance proofreader.
In her free 76-minute workshop, you will learn:
- Common questions about becoming a proofreader
- How to become a proofreader
- 5 signs proofreading could be a perfect fit for you
Become a bookkeeper to earn money from home.
Ben, founder of Bookkeeper Business Academy, explains how becoming a bookkeeper to make money online may be a possibility for you.
Ben helps people start and grow their own bookkeeping business with his online bookkeeping course.
And, guess what?
You don’t have to be an accountant or have any previous experience!
In this interview, we talk about:
- What a bookkeeper is.
- The typical clients a bookkeeper has.
- How much new bookkeepers earn.
- How to become a bookkeeper.
- The positives and negatives of bookkeeping, and more.
Learn more at Make Money At Home By Becoming A Bookkeeper.
Flip items for profit to earn money from home.
Have you ever found an item that you thought you could resell for a profit?
Melissa’s family earned $42,875 in 2015 through buy and sell flipping, and they were working only 10-20 hours per week.
Yes, just 10-20 hours a week!
And in 2016, she hit $133,000!
Some of the best flipped items that they’ve done include:
- An item that they bought for $10 and flipped for $200 just 6 minutes later.
- A security tower they bought for $6,200 and flipped for $25,000 just one month later.
- A prosthetic leg that they bought for $30 at a flea market and sold for $1,000 on eBay the next day.
She also has a great book called 5 Ways to Get FREE Items To Resell for Profit, which teaches you how you can earn money from home by flipping items.
You can learn more at How Melissa Made $40,000 In One Year Flipping Items.
Sell stickers on Etsy.
Did you know that you can sell stickers on Etsy?
This can be a great side hustle!
In the interview below, we answer questions such as:
- Who buys stickers on Etsy?
- How much can you earn from selling stickers?
- How do I find customers to sell stickers to?
- Can someone with no tech skills create a sticker?
You can learn more at How To Make $1,000+ A Month Selling Stickers Online
Start a successful freelance writing career.
Becoming a freelance writer is one of the best ways to make money online.
A freelance writer is someone who writes for a number of different clients, such as websites, blogs, magazines, and more. They don’t work for one specific company, rather they work for themselves and contract out their writing.
If you want to learn how to make money online for beginners, this is one that many newbies start with.
My friend Holly from EarnMoreWriting.com (as well as the popular personal finance blog Club Thrifty) is a very successful freelance writer and has earned over $200,000 writing online!
Her freelance writing course includes nine video modules, several printable worksheets, and awesome add-ons, too. Here are some of the things you can expect to learn if you take her freelance writing course:
- Discover the #1 most important thing you can do to get paid writing jobs.
- Learn how to find beginner jobs and move up over time.
- Learn how price affects the amount of work you get.
- Learn which types of jobs help me (Holly) earn the most pay, and where you can find them.
- Find out which online platforms work best for finding paid work, and how to use them.
- Learn how to structure your work day to earn six figures or more.
Learn more at How I Earn $200,000+ Writing Online Content.
Teach English to earn money from home.
Did you know that you may be able to teach English online to children to earn money online and get paid?
VIPKID is a company that allows you to work from home, create your own schedule, and earn $18-21 per hour (many teachers are earning over $1,000 per month) all while teaching English online.
They are currently in high need of teachers, too!
This company has been featured on Forbes, CNBC, Wall Street Journal, Woman’s Day, and more.
Here’s VIPKID’s teacher requirements:
- Applicant must have an undergraduate degree in any field.
- Any “formal” or “informal” teaching experience, such as mentoring, tutoring, coaching, or alternative education is fine.
- You need internet and a computer.
- Lesson plans, course materials, etc. are all provided by VIPKID.
- You should have fun teaching engaged children.
Become a transcriptionist to earn money from home.
Transcription work is a growing field.
In 2007, Janet started working from home as a medical transcriptionist. Shortly after that, she started a successful general and legal transcription business.
While running her business, the idea of creating a course popped up. Janet now teaches others in her online course how to transcribe online, while working from home as a transcriptionist.
In this interview, we talk about:
- What a transcriptionist is.
- How you can get started as a transcriptionist.
- What kind of money you can expect to make.
- The type of training you need, and more.
Learn more at Make Money At Home By Becoming A Transcriptionist.