GAVI IN SWITZERLAND IS CALLING FOR AN INTERN RESPONSIBLE FOR PUBLIC POLICY RESEARCH & ANALYSIS
Deadline: 21 October 2020
Type of Job: Internship
Duration: Maximum 24 weeks – Starting ASAP
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 760 million children and the prevention of more than 13 million future deaths.
• Develop and maintain, with cross-team and cross-secretariat inputs, issue focused or thematic reference document with key position statements and public messages to inform periodic public engagements from Gavi secretariat
• Produce in-depth research paper on the impact of COVID-19 on routine immunisation in conflict-affected and fragile settings, undertaking expert interviews and secondary literature review
• Undertake desk research, as requested, focusing on fragile settings and humanitarian contexts with a view to COVID-19 impact on access to primary health care, routine immunisation and well-being of children
• Regularly monitor, flag, and summarise latest research and analysis from think tanks, research institutes and scientific journals relating to health equity and access to COVID-19 vaccines
• Screen and review publications, policy and position documents and agreements, from international organisations, non-governmental organisations, media outlets, the public and private sectors, and other information sources, relevant to Gavi public policy research and advocacy needs;
• Contribute to development of policy briefings in support of Gavi public policy research and advocacy priorities, particularly related to equity in immunisation and cross-cutting issues such as gender, urbaninsation, conflict and children’s well-being;
• Assist with the preparation, representation and logistics of various meetings as needed.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
Skills and competences
|• In-depth knowledge of public health issues in fragile and low income contexts;|
• Good understanding of global health and multilateral architecture;
• Excellent analytical and critical reasoning skills, and ability to make logical or implied connections between policy issues, political agendas and global priorities;
• Ability to pick up new knowledge and synthesise complex information across thematic topics into salient arguments;
• Excellent writing skills and the ability to transform technical knowledge into policy-relevant content;
• Keen interest in current global health, humanitarian affairs and international development;
• Highly organised, diplomatic, and capacity to work independently, rapidly and with attention to detail in a fast-paced environment;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work in multicultural environment.
• Master’s degree focused on global health, international relations, international development, law or related experience;
• Research and professional writing or publishing experience in international development, international relations or global health policies.
Applying and additional information
For more information on the Gavi Internship Programme please visit: http://www.gavi.org/careers/internship-programme/
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
Duration: Maximum 24 weeks – Starting ASAP
If you wish to apply, please visit our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on ” Senior Programme Manager, Immunisation Financing and Sustainability “. Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.