The Australia Awards Africa Scholarship program 2023-2024 (Masters, Fellowships, and Short Course opportunities)
DEADLINE: 29 April 2023
The Australia Awards Africa Scholarship program 2023-2024
The Australia Awards Africa Scholarship program combines Masters, Fellowships and Short Course opportunities to build skills and capabilities in key sectors, thereby contributing to social and economic development outcomes for African nations and the Sustainable Development Goals. Australia Awards directly support Australia’s interests in the security, stability and prosperity of the African continent by strengthening African leadership and skills in fields such as agriculture and food security, climate change and adaptation, renewable energy, mining governance and countering terrorism and violent extremism. We focus on those sectors where Australia and African nations have shared interests and where Australia has world-leading expertise to offer.
The Australia Awards Africa program promotes and supports Australian development and economic diplomacy objectives in a variety of ways:
- alumni apply their new skills to contribute to their country’s development
- Australia is recognised and valued by African nations as a reliable partner and source of expertise, and
- relationships are formed between Australian and African people and organisations, creating enduring partnerships and future cooperation.
Australia Awards are open to high calibre, mid to senior level professional applicants from the public, private and community sectors (civil society).
Since 2004, over 2,000 scholars from African countries have studied in Australia under the Australia Awards scholarship program. This includes over 1,000 postgraduate scholars who have undertaken Masters and PhD degrees in Australia.
Applications will be open to participants from Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe in the 2024 intake.
Applications are strongly encouraged from women, people with disability and marginalised groups.
Applications for commencement in 2024 will open on 1 February 2023 and close on 29 April 2023.
Australia Awards Africa scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian education institution, including any preparatory training.
Scholarship recipients will receive:
- return air travel
- a one-off establishment allowance on arrival
- full tuition fees
- contribution to living expenses
- introductory academic program
- overseas student health cover for the duration of the scholarship
- supplementary academic support
- fieldwork allowance for research students and masters by coursework which has a compulsory fieldwork component
How to apply
Applications must be lodged online through the Online Australia Scholarships Information System (OASIS) by 11.59PM AEST on 29 April 2023. You will need to register and establish your eligibility before submitting your application. Applications and/or supporting documents received after the closing date will not be considered.
Australia Awards Africa scholarship applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook.
Applicants must also meet country-specific conditions and provide relevant documentation to support their application.
Applications will be shortlisted after eligibility checking and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection process will include an interview.
Applicants will be assessed on:
- academic competence
- potential outcome, specifically the contribution to development outcomes in eligible countries of Africa
- professional and personal leadership attributes including relevant work experience.
Successful candidates will be notified in late 2023. Travel will be subject to meeting the requirements imposed by the Australian Government, as determined by the federal Department of Education, and must meet the requirements imposed by relevant state and territory governments.
The candidates will be required to attend:
- course counselling
- pre-departure briefing
- university’s Introductory Academic Program
- other required preparatory study on arrival in Australia.
For enquiries relating to the application process, email: [email protected].
Additional information is also available at
- Africa – information for Australia Awards intake commencing 2024 [PDF 290 KB]
- Africa – information for Australia Awards intake commencing 2024 [DOCX 250 KB]