How to get a job in the South African Military
As a young man, maybe your ambition is to serve your country in the military. The South African military which includes the ground force army, the navy, the airforce, and the military health recently launched a call for applications through the Military Skills Development System (MSDS). This is your great opportunity as a young South African citizen to serve in uniform on a two-year contract.
Under Military Skills Development System (MSDS), you will receive military training and further functional training in your first year of service. During the second year of service, depending on the duration of the functional orientation, you will be deployed where needed and given the opportunity to apply your knowledge and develop your skills. Check below on “How To Successfully Get a Job in the South African Military”.
Here is how you can get recruited:
- Make sure you are between 18-26 years of age: The first step is to make sure that you are between 18-26 years of age. Candidates between 18-22 years of age can apply with Grade 12 only whereas those between 23-26 years require 3 years of Tertiary Qualification.
- You must have a minimum Qualification of at least a Grade 12 Certificate: The minimum qualification for you to get recruited is grade 12. If you do not have grade 12, you may find it hard to break through. If you only have a grade 10 or 11, I am not discouraging you but your chances are higher if you meet the basic requirement which is a grade 12 certificate.
- Have no criminal record or pending cases: Getting into the South African military is not only rewarding but it is also very sensitive. Due to the sensitivity of this job, make sure that you have no criminal record or pending cases.
- Comply with medical fitness requirements: Make sure you are basically fit enough because you will receive military training and further functional training in your first year of service. If you have serious underlying medical conditions, I do not encourage you to apply.
- Good physical Fitness: Being in very good physical shape is a great advantage. The minimum Height for Females is 148cm and 155cm for Males. The minimum Weight for Females is 48kg and 52kg for Males.
- Make sure you have no visible tattoos (Legs, Lower Arm, Neck, and Face): If you have visible tattoos around your body then it may be nearly impossible for you to get recruited into the South African military. If you have tattoos possibly get them removed otherwise the military normally considers those who have no visible tattoos.
Links to apply for the South African Military: Military Skills Development System (MSDS)
- South African Army (Ground Force)
- The South African Air Force
- The South African Navy (SAN)
- SA Military Health Service
NOTE: Please note that the closing date of the abovementioned opportunities is the 28th of February 2023