Deadline: 16 November 2020
Type of Job: Internship (3 months)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas. We manage an operating budget of approximately $5.9 billion each year, distributing 12.6 billion rations to those most in need. We reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries each year. The World Food Programme office in Johannesburg is a Regional Office coordinating and supporting the delivery of humanitarian assistance to 11 Southern Africa countries including, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Botswana, Malawi, Madagascar, Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo Brazzaville.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT
The VAM Intern will be an integral part of the RBJ regional VAM team. The VAM team primary mandateis to identify food insecure populations and their needs, provide early warning, and generate information/knowledge base to guide in formulating durable and better targeted food security and livelihood solutions at the regional level. The successful candidate will be responsible for collating and organizing datasets and producing high quality infographics used for regional analysis and understanding the regional socio-economic context and design of the Zero Hunger programmes for Southern Africa.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the guidance of the RBJ National VAM Officer and overall supervision of the Head of VAM Unit, primary duties of the VAM Intern shall include the following:
• Assemble and maintain appropriate food and nutrition security indicators using internationally from different global data service: Economist database, World Bank, UNICEF, FAO regional analysis and comparison of different countries.
• Assist in data management of household survey data
• Produce high quality mapping products and infographics to support Regional Bureau function and activities.
• Support in typesetting and publishing high quality reports and documents.
• Assist the Head of Unit in organizing and coordinating regional meetings, including note taking and circulation of documents.
• Perform other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Recent relevant qualifications in Statistics, Business studies, Economics, Social Sciences. Must have a completed relevant study within the last one to two years. Any and additional specialised training in quantitative analysis and data management is an added advantage.
Basic experience in data analysis, knowledge of Excel and any statistical software is an advantage is an advantage.
Knowledge & Skills:
Beginner level in data management and desktop publishing software and report writing skills. Proficiency in MS-Office.
Proficiency in English.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP up to the maximum amount of US$1000 per month depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- Depending on the duty station of assignment, WFP will reimburse travel ticket for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online here> https://bit.ly/3eMcfMD