2023 PhD Scholarship Call to study at the University of KwaZulu-Natal: Applications are invited from citizens of all African countries
DEADLINE: 17 April 2023
2023 PhD Scholarship Call to study at the University of KwaZulu-Natal
HEARD is delighted to announce that applications are now open for our 2023 PhD Scholarship opportunity call.The aim of our PhD programme is to produce expertly qualified graduates to advise or to be part of influential policy-making or programme implementing entities in Africa, and to pursue additional research priorities. The scholarship is intended to support full-time PhD study at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. Applications are invited from citizens of all African countries. Female candidates and, in the case of South Africa, those from previously disadvantaged backgrounds, are especially encouraged to apply.
The Health Economics and HIV/AIDS Research Division (HEARD) based at the University of KwaZulu-Natal is a regional and global leader for applied research and policy development on critical health and development challenges for the African continent. HEARD’s mission is to influence and support evidence-based policy and good practice to more effectively address Africa’s health and development issues and contribute to achieving health and sustainable development across the continent.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
A critical component of achieving HEARD’s mission is investing in the development of African scholars to master quantitative and qualitative research methods for understanding policy problems and for devising, evaluating and/or implementing policy or programmatic solutions. The aim of our PhD programme is to produce expertly qualified graduates to advise or to be part of influential policy-making or programme implementing entities in Africa, and to pursue additional research priorities
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Applications are invited from citizens of all African countries. Female candidates and, in the case of South Africa, those from previously disadvantaged backgrounds, are especially encouraged to apply.
- Hold a Master’s Degree (first or upper second class pass or its equivalent).
- Have demonstrable research experience.
- Undertake to register for a PhD dissertation (full time) at the University of KwaZulu–Natal (UKZN).
- Make a commitment to remain on the African continent for at least 2 years after graduation.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- A letter of motivation Curriculum Vitae
- An 8-10 page concept note on one of HEARD’s key strategic areas: Mother and Child Healthcare; Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Young Populations; Health Financing and Universal Health Coverage.
- Certified copies of both your academic qualifications and of your full academic records. In the case of qualifications obtained from non-English speaking countries, an English translation must be included
- A certified copy of your ID/passport
- Two letters of reference, at least one of which must be academic. The second can be from an individual of professional standing
FEES AND SCHOLARSHIP CONDITIONS
The total value of each scholarship is R540, 000 (includes a living, travel and accommodation allowance). This amount also includes student levy costs. The living and travel allowance will be paid in the form of three tranche payments per annum over a three-year period. Payments are dependent on submission of satisfactory progress reports from the student’s Supervisor. Successful applicants are required to be based in Durban, South Africa, for the duration of the scholarship, with the exception of the time during which they may undertake field research elsewhere. The scholarship is intended to support full-time study and PhD students may not work while studying. Students are expected to complete their PhD in 3 years.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 17 APRIL 2023 NOTES
Applicants in the process of completing a Master’s degree will not be considered.
If you have not received a reply within 8 weeks of the closing date, kindly consider your application unsuccessful. Applications must be submitted to Professor Jim Whitman, Co-Director, PhD Programme: [email protected] Application closing date: 17 April 2023
More information about HEARD is available at www.heard.org.za