Apply for the Data Analyst position at the International Monetary Fund
DEADLINE: 28 December 2022
Work for the IMF. Work for the World.
Typically Reports to:
Division Chief and two Deputy Division Chiefs
Data Analytics Officer, Senior DA Officer
STA provides global leadership on macroeconomic and financial statistics. Our analytical, policy, and operations work advances the international statistical agenda and contributes to carrying out the IMF’s mandate and core functions through:
- multilateral, bilateral, and financial sector surveillance and use of Fund Resources;
- analytical development, drafting, and promotion of internationally accepted statistical standards and methodologies; and
- capacity building activities.
STA has an opening in its Data Operations Division (DO) for a Data Analyst. The Division is responsible for the STA statistical data and metadata production and dissemination activities, while ensuring the high quality of data and metadata products and publications for internal and external dissemination. DO manages the statistical data management tools and associated IT budgets. It represents the IT interests of STA.
The Data Analyst focuses on the collection and processing of Fund economic data across a variety of topical domain areas and supports the dissemination and communication of economic data and metadata collected by the Fund. The primary responsibility of the Data Analyst is to ingest, process, aggregate, and validate economic data and associated metadata to assess its validity and completeness. Additionally, the Data Analyst focuses on leveraging new technologies and techniques to improve the timeliness, coverage, and accuracy of economic data collected by STA as well as for data dissemination.
Under the general supervision of the Division Chief and two Deputy Division Chiefs in the Data Operations Division in STA, the Data Analyst main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Run defined validation checks on incoming data to ensure completeness and accuracy of the data. Alert supervisor to any issues arising from the datasets.
- Leverage technology and automation tools for data ingestion, aggregation, transformation and calculations as well as for data dissemination.
- Implement new methods of data ingestion and handling to improve the accuracy and timeliness of datasets.
- Assist in the maintenance of referential metadata pertaining to the collected datasets by the Department.
- Implement policies and processes for effective data handling, in accordance with Fund data policies.
- Support the communication of data and metadata availability and facilitates navigation of data to end-users. Coordinate responses to internal and external data requests, including data exchange with other organizations.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must have a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in Economics, Finance, Statistics, Data Management, Mathematics, Information Management, Data Management, Programming/Systems, Computer Science, or related field of study. Basic knowledge of financial and/or macroeconomic principles and a foundational understanding of data management principles and concepts is highly desirable. In addition, the selected candidate should have excellent analytical skills, be comfortable handling large data sets in a production environment, as well as have knowledge of technologies and/or techniques for data ingestion, processing, and validation. The Data Analyst should have strong communication skills and attention to detail, ability to establish priorities, meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks effectively, and be flexible under pressure.
Only candidates who are currently residing in the Washington DC metro area will be considered.
This is a one-year contractual appointment. Contractual appointments at the IMF are renewable for up to four years of cumulative contractual service, pending incumbent’s performance, budget availability, and continuous business need.